Why You Should Join
There are many more benefits of quitting drinking with the help of an online support group, including the following:
- Avoid feeling alone and isolated in your struggle.
- Talk openly about your feelings.
- Relieve stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Regain control of your life.
- Surround yourself with a group that won’t judge you.
- Learn ways to bounce back after relapses.
You might think that you shouldn’t join a support group because you’re too far gone or you don’t need help. These support groups are beneficial for everyone, whether your addiction is mild, moderate, or serious. Friendships and social connections-even online ones-can help you remain sober. Talking to someone in an online community about your addiction and your goals for quitting can be beneficial to your recovery.
Example Posts and Replies
You might be wondering just how these communities operate. There is a wide variety of posts, but here are some examples:
- Post – Hi, I’m new here to the community, and I just wanted to introduce myself. My first name is Ethan, and I’ve been an alcoholic ever since I started college at age 18. I’m 32 now. With 14 years of addiction under my belt, I’ve never attended an AA meeting, but I know I need help. I found out about this forum and decided to try it out. I’m looking for some tips to start on my road to recovery. Really, any advice you can give me would mean a lot.
- Reply – Hey Ethan, my name is Kevin, and I’m happy you decided to join. Welcome to the group! I hope you feel welcome, and this community can help you reach your goals. When I was first starting on my road to recovery, I really found that developing new habits and activities helped. You’d be surprised at how much something as simple as exercising or meditating can help. Try pursuing something you’re passionate about or developing a new hobby. This will help you find new meaning in life apart from alcohol.
Recovery Is Real
No matter how far gone you feel or how many times you’ve relapsed, know that recovery is possible. With the right help, you can leave alcohol behind. By joining an online support group, staying focused on the benefits of sobriety, and staying strong when you slip up, you can make progress. Don’t give up on yourself; you’re worth it. If you need more tips for quitting alcohol, read these helpful articles for inspiration.